Comparing the Membrane Potential of Wheat Grains of Different Varieties and Productivity Divided into Fractions According to Their Aerodynamic Properties
Nadezhda N. Barysheva
Sergey P. Pronin
Denis D. Baryshev
Vladimir I. Belyaev
Introduction. Spring wheat yield depends largely on the wheat variety, seed quality, cultivation technology, and agro-climatic factors. It has been found that the separation of wheat seeds into fractions makes it possible to improve the quality of post-harvest processing, adjust the quality of grain depending on the intended use, and the sowing of the wheat grains divided into fractions allows increasing productivity. The aim of the article is to explore the membrane potential on the shells of wheat grains divided into fractions according to their aerodynamic properties and to compare certain membrane potential features with aerodynamic properties of these grains and the yields of selected varieties.
Materials and Methods. The seeds, divided into fractions, have different sowing qualities. Biologically deficient seeds have poor germination index. The study have found that the division of seeds into fractions contributes to increasing yields, but the main indicators of quality are still germination and viability, for this reason an approach has been developed to determine the quality of wheat seeds divided into fractions.
Results. This article studies the change in membrane potential of wheat seeds, divided into fractions according to their aerodynamic properties. The article presents the results of testing a new clamping electrode with a smooth surface to measure the membrane potential of wheat gains. To study the effect of the wheat variety, the aerodynamic properties of grains and yield on changes in membrane potential, we analyzed three indices: the resting potential level, time of variable potential rise to the maximum value and variable potential maximum value.
Discussion and Conclusion. New informative indicators have been determined because of the two-way analysis of variance of the research results. These indicators reliably reflect the aerodynamic properties of seeds and can be used to predict yields. The use of the obtained results will allow agricultural enterprises and farms to determine the quality of post-harvest processing of wheat seeds, adjust the quality depending on the intended use, and evaluate and forecast the productivity of seeds.
Keywords: wheat grains, yield, membrane potential, variable potential, indicators, aerodynamic properties, fractions
For citation: Barysheva N.N., Pronin S.P., Baryshev D.D., et al. Comparing the Membrane Potential of Wheat Grains of Different Varieties and Productivity Divided into Fractions According to Their Aerodynamic Properties. Inzhenerernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2020; 30(4):550-575. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.030.202004.550-575
Contribution of the authors: N. N. Barysheva – review of literature, development of methodology, analysis of research results, formulation of conclusions, experiments, preparation of the initial version of the article; S. P. Pronin – theoretical research, formulation of the main research concepts, final text editing; D. D. Baryshev – text correction, correction of conclusions; V. I. Belyaev – final text editing.
All authors have read and approved the final manuscript.
Received 12.06.2020; revised 15.09.2020; published online 30.12.2020
1. Zakharova N.N. Yield Properties of Seeds of Spring Wheat. Nauchno-metodicheskiy elektronnyy zhurnal Kontsept = Scientific and Methodological Electronic Journal Concept. 2013; 3:521-525. Available at: http://e-koncept.ru/2013/53106.htm (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
2. Barysheva N.N., Pronin S.P. Method of Determining Seed Germination by Using Membrane Potential of Wheat Seeds. Inzhenernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2019; 29(3):443-455. (In Russ.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.029.201903.443-455
3. Vdovina T.V., Popolzukhin P.V., Popolzukhina N.A. [Yield Properties of Spring Wheat Seeds Depending on the Main Methods of Cultivation Technology]. Vestnik Buryatskoy gosudarstvennoy selskokhozyaystvennoy akademii im. V.R. Filippova = Filippov Buryat State Agricultural Academy Bulletin. 2008; (2):54-59. Available at: http://www.bgsha.ru/files/images/Vestnik/2008_2.pdf (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
4. Arkhipov M.V., Priyatkin N.S., Gusakova L.P., et al. [Introscopic Express Control of the Integrity of Internal Grain Structures during the Formation of Production Lots of Grain, Most Suitable for Long-Term Storage]. Selektsiya, semenovodstvo i genetika = Breeding, Seed and Genetics. 2015; (2):53-54. Available at: https://fsvps.gov.ru/fsvps-docs/ru/news/smi/select/select-2-2015.pdf (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
5. Arkhipov M.V., Priyatkin N.S., Gusakova L.P. Detection of Hidden Defects in the Seeds of Grain Crops by the Method of Microfocus X-RAY. Tavricheskiy vestnik agrarnoy nauki = Tavrida Bulletin of the Agrarian Sciences. 2018; (3):8-13. Available at: http://tvan.niishk.ru/data/documents/1_3.pdf (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
6. Beletskiy S.L., Priyatkin N.S., Arkhipov M.V. Novel Principles and Technical Solutions of Seeds Sorting. Khranenie i pererabotka selkhozsyirya = Storage and Processing of Farm Products. 2018; (3):89-97. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/sovremennye-printsipy-i-tehnicheskie-sredstva-separatsii-semyan (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
7. Jha S.N., Narsaiah K., Basediya A.L., et al. Measurement Techniques and Application of Electrical Properties for Nondestructive Quality Evaluation of Foods – A Review. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2011; 48:387-411. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-011-0263-x
8. Pasynkov А.V., Andreev V.L., Zavalin А.А., et al. Changes in the Parameters of Winter Rye Quality after Grain Fractionation. Dostizheniya nauki i tekhniki APK = Achievements of Science and Technology of AIC. 2013; (9):36-40. Available at: http://www.agroapk.ru/year-2013 (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
9. Pasynkova E.N., Zavalin A.A., Pasynkov A.V., et al. Change in Quality Parameters of Hulled Oats Grain at Fractionation. Russian Agricultural Sciences. 2018; 44:409-413. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.3103/S1068367418050142
10. Galkin V.D., Khavyev A.A., Khandrikov V.A., et al. Development of Adjustment Method for Vibro-Pneumatic Separator with an Improved Design by the Wheat Purification from Hard-Separable Impurities. Permskiy agrarnyy vestnik = Perm Agrarian Journal. 2018; (1):14-22. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/razrabotka-metodiki-nastroyki-vibropnevmoseparatora-usovershenstvovannoy-konstruktsii-pri-ochistke-pshenitsy-ot-trudnootdelimyh (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
11. Burkov A.I., Batalova G.A., Glushkov A.L., et al. Preparation of High Quality Seeds Using a Pneumatic Separator. Agrarnaya nauka Yevro- Severo-Vostoka = Agrarian Science of Euro-North-East. 2017; (2). Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/podgotovka-vysokokachestvennyh-semyan-s-ispolzovaniem-pnevmoseparatorov (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
12. Tarasenko A.P., Orobinskiy V.I., Gievskiy A.M., et al. [Reducing Injury to Grain During Post-Harvest Processing]. Vestnik agrarnoy nauki Dona = Don Agrarian Science Bulletin. 2019; (1):63-68. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/snizhenie-travmirovaniya-zerna-pri-posleuborochnoy-obrabotke/viewer (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
13. Zhang T., Wei W., Zhao B., et al. A Reliable Methodology for Determining Seed Viability by Using Hyperspectral Data from Two Sides of Wheat Seeds. Sensors. 2018; 18(3):813. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/s18030813
14. Anisur R., Byoung-Kwan Ch. Assessment of Seed Quality Using Non-Destructive Measurement Techniques: A Review. Seed Science Research. 2016; 26(4):285-305. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0960258516000234
15. Makrushin N.M., Makrushina Ye.M. [The Most Important Principles of Biological Properties Prediction and Seed Selection]. Naukovi pratsi Pivdennogo filialu “Krimskiy agrotekhnologichniy universitetˮ Natsionalnogo agrarnogo universitetu = Scientific Works of the Southern Branch Crimean Agrotechnological University of National Agrarian University. 2009; 127:11-15. Available at: http://www.cnshb.ru/jour/j_as.asp?id=110996 (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
16. Risse J.H., Misra M.K., Knapp A.D., et al. Conditioning Shriveled Soybean Seed Part I. Variation in Physical Properties. Transactions of the ASAE. 2013; 34(2):481-486. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.31687
17. Phenow E.A., Mezenov A.A., Gigoolo Y.Y. Experimental Study of Parameters of Grain Milling Product Separation in Pneumatic Screw Classifier. Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia. 2016; 13(2):669-680. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.13005/bbra/2083
18. Bettge A.D., Pomeranz Y. Air-Aspirated Cleaning to Separate Sound from Preharvest-Sprouted Wheat. Cereal Chemistry. 1993; 70(1):36-41. Available at: https://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=US9416316 (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Eng.)
19. Kutsenko Yu.N. [Justification of Electric Equipment Structure and Automated Control System of Grain Separation Plant]. Vestnik agrarnoy nauki Dona = Don Agrarian Science Bulletin. 2014; (2):15-19. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/obosnovanie-struktury-elektrooborudovaniya-i-sistemy-avtomatizirovannogo-upravleniya-ustanovki-separatsii-zernovyh-kultur/viewer (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Eng.)
20. Orobinsky V.I., Gievsky A.M., Baskhakov I.V. Seed Refinement in the Harvesting and Post-Harvesting Process. In: International Scientific and Practical Conference “AgroSMART – Smart Solutions for Agriculture” (AgroSMART 2018). 2018. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.2991/agrosmart-18.2018.163
21. Merchenko N.N., Pronin S.P. Dependence of Membrane Potential of Wheat Seeds on Ions Concentration on the Cover Inside and Its Permeability. Fundamentalnye issledovaniya = Fundamental Research. 2014; (8):1539-1544. Available at: http://www.fundamental-research.ru/ru/article/view?id=35248 (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
22. Vodeneev V.A., Mamonov R.V., Pyatygin S.S., et al. [Spread of Variability Potential Induced by a Burned Seed Gourd Leaf]. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N. I. Lobachevkogo = Lobachevsky Nizhny Novgorod University Bulletin. 2007; (2):122-126. Available at: http://www.vestnik.unn.ru/ru/nomera?anum=1643 (accessed 15.10.2020). (In Russ.)
23. Vodeneev V.A., Katicheva L.A., Sukhov V.S. Electrical Signals in Higher Plants: Mechanisms of Generation and Propagation. Biofizika = Biophysics. 2016; 61(3):598-606. (In Russ.)
24. Pyatygin S.S., Opritov V.A., Vodeneev V. A. Signaling Role of Action Potential in Higher Plants. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology. 2008; 55(2):285-291. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1134/S1021443708020179
25. Hodgkin A.L., Huxley A.F. A Quantitative Description of Membrane Current and Its Application to Conduction and Excitation in Nerve. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology. 1990; 52:25-71. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02459568
26. Khlebova L.P., Arzumanyan A.A. Studying the Possibility of Reducing the Period of Seed Dormancy in Crops under Controlled Growth Conditions. Acta Biologica Sibirica. 2015; (1-2):22-37. (In Eng.) DOI: https://doi.org/10.14258/abs.v1i1-2.780
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.