Technological Properties of Radish
Andrey A. Ashitko
Evgeny A. Gavrish
Andrey Yu. Nesmiyan
Ruslan Yu. Kolesnik
Introduction. When cultivating root crops, harvesting is one of the most important operations. In industrial production, the technique for harvesting beets, carrots, black radishes, chicory, etc. is widely known, except for radishes, which differ significantly in the sowing scheme, maturation periods, and in physical and mechanical properties of the plants. In the study dealing with the development of small-scale mechanization for harvesting radishes, the authors made a determination of basic physical and mechanical properties of this plant.
Materials and Methods. The study was conducted for the two radish varieties (Celeste and Belokrayka), typical for the Southern and North Caucasus federal districts of Russia. In doing so, the known methods were used to determine the size, mass and frictional characteristics of radishes.
Results. It was established that the Celeste radishe was 1.2–2.1 times larger than the Belokrayka radish and 1.8–2.8 times heavier. The weight of the radish roots (10...28 g.) in the total mass of the plant was 52–90 %, and the weight was 0.5–0.6 %. The average diameter of the radish roots was 26.7–34 mm, with a coefficient of variation (V) about 13–14 %, radish root height was 29–45 mm (at V ≈ 18–20 %). A direct correlation between all the dimensions considered was found. The coefficient of the static friction of radish roots with unpainted steel was 0.63–0.66, the movement was 0.44–0.58. Frictional characteristics of the stems of the radish leaves were 1.25 times higher on the average. The diameter of the bundle of stems at the proposed cut end was 9–12 mm.
Discussion and Conclusion. In general, the physical and mechanical characteristics of radishes depend significantly on their variety, maturity, freshness and other factors, so the results of the study vary significantly. Nevertheless, they can be used as primary information for designing radish harvesting machines.
Keywords: radish, mechanization of process, variety, physical and mechanical property, dimensional characteristic, friction property, weight
For citation: Ashitko A.A., Gavrish E.A., Nesmiyan A.Yu., Kolesnik R.Yu. Technological Properties of Radish. Inzhenernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2019; 29(2):265-278. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.029.201902.265-278
Contribution of the authors: A. A. Ashitko – studying the size and mass characteristics of the Belokrayka radish plants, analyzing the level of mechanization of the processes of harvesting of root crops; E. A. Gavrish – studying the size and mass characteristics of the Celeste radish plants; A. Yu. Nesmiyan – writing the draft version of the article, analysing the results, proofreading the text of the article; R. Yu. Kolesnik – studying frictional properties of radish plants, creating a list of references.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper.
Received 08.07.2018; revised 14.09.2018; published online 28.06.2019
1. Gibba A. Revealed comparative advantage and trade competitiveness in global vegetable products. International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research. 2017; 6(5):8-15.
2. Storozhuk I.M., Pankiv V.R. Research results of harvesting haulm remnants of root crops. INMATEH – Agricultural Engineering. 2015; 46(2):101-108.
3. Baranovskiy V.M., Skalskiy O.Yu. The analysis of constructive-technological aspects the function of root crops diggers. Innovative Solutions in Modern Science. 2016; 1(1):147-154. (In Russ.)
4. Dubrovin V.A., Golub G.A., Dubchak N.A., Tesliuk V.V. Identification development process adapted root crop machines. Machinery and Energetics. 2013; 185:12-28.
5. Kulakov A.F., inventor and assignee. Cutting machine for vegetable ends. USSR Patent 246952, 1969 June 20. (In Russ.)
6. Steinberg R.V., Ilariev S.I., Vavilin V.S., inventors. All-Union Scientific Research and Design Institute of Baby Food Products and Management Systems for Agro-Industrial Complexes of Canning Industry, assignee. Device for trimming the ends of carrots. USSR Patent 982643 1982 Dec 23. (In Russ.)
7. Silifanov Yu.A., inventor and assignee. Device for trimming root ends. USSR Patent 1284497. 1987 Jan 23. (In Russ.)
8. Laryushin N.P., Kshnikatkin S.A., Kiryukhina T.A., inventors. Penza State Agricultural Academy, assignee. Device for trimming leaves of onions and roots. Ru Patent 2240712. 2004 Nov 27. (In Russ.)
9. Nesmiyan A.Yu., Yakovets A.V., Dolzhikov V.V., Ashitko S.A. Influence of physical and mechanical properties of seeds of cultivated crops on the quality of the pneumatic vacuum seeder. Agro XXI. 2012; 4-6:44-46. (In Russ.)
10. Nesmiyan A.Yu., Khronyuk Ye.V., Gaivoronskaya S.P., Pavlenko O.S., Bragin R.N. Dimensional characteristics of oilseeds hybrids of sunflower. Vestnik agrarnoy nauki Dona = Don Agrarian Science Bulletin. 2014; 1:39-46. (In Russ.)
11. Ahmadi R., Kalbasi-Ashtari A., Gharibzahedi S.M.T. Physical properties of psyllium seed. International Agrophysics. 2012; 26:91-93.
12. Aydin C., Ozcan M. Some physico-mechanic properties of terebinth (Pistacia terebinthus L.) fruits. Journal of Food Engineering. 2002; 53(1):97-101.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.