Protective Efficiency of Water-Soluble Corrosion Inhibitors
Sergey M. Gaidar
Ruslan K. Nizamov
Mikhail I. Golubev
Ivan G. Golubev
Introduction. As a result of damage to agricultural and forestry machines from corrosion, the costs of maintaining their performance are increasing. The use of water-soluble inhibitors can slow or halt the destructive process. However, many of the inhibitors have disadvantages, for example, flammability or toxicity. The purpose of this work is to study the protective effectiveness of aqueous solutions of boric acid ester and triethanolamine and to develop recommendations for their use for anticorrosive protection of agricultural and forestry machinery in long-term storage.
Materials and Methods. Protective compositions were prepared by dissolving boric acid ester and triethanolamine in distilled and industrial water at room temperature. Aqueous solutions with a concentration of water-soluble inhibitors of 5–50 g/l (0.5–5 mass %) were used for research. The linear polarization resistance method was used to assess their protective efficiency. Solartron (UK) measuring complex was used for electrochemical studies. Accelerated corrosion tests were carried out on steel plates according to GOST 9.054-75 in the g-4 humidistat. The aftereffect of water-soluble corrosion inhibitors was evaluated by the residual film protective efficiency.
Results. The influence of the concentration of the ester of boric acid and triethanolamine in aqueous solutions for their protective properties is studied. It was found that boric acid and triethanolamine slow the anode reaction. The analysis of the research results has showed that the corrosion rate of the steel electrode decreases with increasing the concentration of water-soluble inhibitor in process water. This decrease is the most noticeable when the concentration in the range of 10–50 g/l with an increase in the concentration in the solution of boric acid and triethanolamine to 50 g/l, their protective efficiency varies by 6–14 %. The optimal concentration of the inhibitor in the composition is obtained, which is 10 g/l during corrosion tests of steel plates, the protective efficiency of the solution with a concentration of 10 g/l of the water-soluble inhibitor was more than 70 %. In case of precipitation on the samples, the protective efficiency of the solutions decreased to 20–25 %. When tested in a closed unheated room on steel samples during the year there were no traces of corrosion.
Conclusions. The study demonstrates that boric acid and triethanolamine is a watersoluble inhibitor of anodic corrosion. When the concentration of water-soluble inhibitor in process water increases, the corrosion rate of the steel electrode decreases. Optimum concentration of ester of boric acid and triethanolamine in the protective solution should be 10 g/l. For corrosion tests of steel plates, the shielding effectiveness of a solution of water- soluble inhibitor was more than 70 %. In the conditions of direct exposure to atmospheric precipitation on the samples of the protective efficiency of the solutions decreased to 20–25 %. When tested in a closed unheated room on steel samples there were no traces of corrosion during the year. Thus, the ester of boric acid and triethanolamine is effective to protect against atmospheric corrosion in a closed room. it Is recommended to apply it for protecting cars against corrosion at short-term storage on open platforms. The application field of water-soluble inhibitor when agricultural and forestry machines are retained for long-term storage is defined; combine stages of cleaning cars from pollution and preserving their surfaces for protection against corrosion are offered. The article will be useful to specialists in the field of protection of agricultural machinery from corrosion.
Keywords: agricultural and forestry machines, corrosion, corrosion rate, conservation compositions, water-soluble inhibitors, boric acid ester and triethanolamine, polarization curves, protective efficiency
For citation: Gaidar S. M., Nizamov R. K., Golubev M. I., Golubev I. G. Protective Efficiency of Water-Soluble Corrosion Inhibitors. Vestnik Mordovskogo universiteta = Mordovia University Bulletin. 2018; 28(3):429–444. DOI: https://doi.org/0236-2910.028.201803.429-444
Authors’ contribution: S. M. Gaidar – scientific management, formulation of the basic concept of the study, theoretical and experimental studies, patent analysis, conclusions, research and revision of the text; R. K. Nizamov – experimental studies, data processing; M. I. Golubev – experimental studies, literary analysis, English translation, text revision; I. G. Golubev – critical analysis, generalization of research results, review of Russian and foreign research on the topic of the article, preparation of the initial version of the text.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper.
Received 24.04.2018; revised 20.06.2018; published online 20.09.2018
1. Bykov V. V., Golubev M. I. Monitoring of the storage conditions of forestry machines. Nauka v tsentralnoy Rossii = Science in Central Russia. 2014; 9(3):14–18. (In Russ.)
2. Knyazeva L. G., Petrashev A. I., Prokhorenkov V. D., Klepikov V. V. To the question of efficiency of storage of agricultural machinery. Nauka v tsentralnoy Rossii = Science in Central Russia. 2017; 30(6):37–49. (In Russ.).
3. Mironov E. V., Lisunov Ye. A., Krupin A. E., Tarukin E. M. A device for making protective compounds at the agricultural equipment conservation. Vestnik Mordovskogo universiteta = Mordovia University Bulletin. 2016; 26(4):490‒498. (In Russ.)
4. Gaidar S. M., Pydrin A. V., Karelina M. Yu. Preservation technology automotive diesel enginespreservative composition. Aktualnyye napravleniya nauchnykh issledovaniy XXI veka: teoriya i praktika = Actual Directions of Scientific Researches of 21st Century: Theory and Practice. 2015; 3(1):130–144. (In Russ.)
5. Gaidar S. M., Nizamov R. K., Golubev M. I. Conception of corrosion inhibiting factors creation with the usage of nanotechnological approach. Scientific Israel – Technological Advantages. 2012; 14(3):88–91.
6. Gaidar S. M., Nizamov R. K., Golubev M. I. Concept of creating corrosion inhibitors using nanotechnology approaches. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta lesa – Lesnoy vestnik = Moscow State Forest University Bulletin – Forest Bulletin. 2012; 90(7):140–142. (In Russ.)
7. Gaidar S. M., Nizamov R. K., Guryanov S. A., Golubev M. I.Theory and practice of creating atmospheric corrosion inhibitors. Tekhnika i oborudovanie dlya sela = Machinery and Equipment for Rural Areas. 2012; 4:8–10.
8. Petrovskaya E. A., Gaidar S. M. Influence of multifunctional inhibitors on corrosion resistance of low-carbon steels in aggressive environments in agriculture. Doklady Timiryazevskoy selskokhozyaystvennoy akademii = Reports of Timiryazev Agricultural Academy. 2016; 288-4:258–261.
9. Berezhnaya A. G., Ivashchenko O. A., Chernyavina V. V. Sunflower and rapeseed lecithins as corrosion inhibitors of steel. Mezhdunarodnyy zhurnal prikladnykh i fundamentalnykh issledovaniy = International Journal of Applied and Fundamental Research. 2016; 8(3):365–369.
10. Berezhnaya, A. G., Chernavina V. V., Kiyanitsa E. A., Mishurov V. I., Markosyan A. A. Influence of the composition of the inhibiting composition on the protective properties of in carbon-dioxide steel corrosion. Korroziya: materialy, zashchita = Corrosion: materials, protection. 2015; 9:32–35.
11. Vigdorovich V. I., Knyazeva L. G., Zazulya A. N., Kuznetsova E. G., Andreev N. N., Uryadnikov A. A., Dorokhov A. V. Application of Ifhan-118 volatile inhibitor to protect agricultural equipment against atmospheric corrosion. Russian Agricultural Sciences. 2016; 42(2):196–199.
12. Russian Federation Patent 2597442. Metal Corrosion Inhibitor. Gaidar S. M., Karelina M. Yu., Pydrin A. V., Petrovskiy D. I., Petrovskaya Ye. A., Bykova Ye. V., Bykov K. V., Golubev M. I., Shlykov A. Ye. Published 15.04.2015.
13. Kuznetsov Yu. I. Organic corrosion inhibitors: where are we now? A review. Part IV. Passion and the role of mono- and diphosphonates. Korroziya: materialy, zashchita = Corrosion: Materials, Protection. 2018; 2:1–12.
14. Kuznetsova E. G., Knyazeva L. G., Prokhorenkov V. D., Gaidar S. M. Conservation compositions based on water-soluble corrosion inhibitors. Nauka v Tsentralnoy Rossii = Science in Central Russia. 2013; 5:43–47.
15. Gaydar S. M., Petrovskiy D. I., Posunko I. A. Boric derivatives of amines as a water-soluble inhibitors of corrosion. Korroziya: materialy, zashchita = Corrosion: Materials, Protection. 2017; 12:27–35.
16. Levashova V. I., Yangirova I. V., Kazakova Ye. V. Review of corrosion inhibitors based on boron compounds. Sovremennyye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya = Modern Problems of Science and Education. 2014; 6:10–17.
17. Kuznetsov Yu. I. Organic corrosion inhibitors: where are we now? A review. Part IV. Passivation and the role of mono- and diphosphonates. International Journal of Corrosion and Scale Inhibition. 2017; 6(4):384–427.
18. Kuznetsov Yu. I. Organic corrosion inhibitors: where are we now? A review. Part II. Passivation and the role of chemical structure of carboxylates. International Journal of Corrosion and Scale Inhibition. 2016; 5(4):282–318.
19. Vigdorovich V. I., Knyazeva L. G., Kuznetsova E. G., Tsygankova L. E., Uryadnikov A. A., Shel N. V.Kinetics and mechanism of electrode reactions in corrosion of some metals covered with oil films in acid and neutral chloride. Environments. Protection of Metals and Physical Chemistry of Surfaces. 2016; 52(7):1157–1165.
20. Vigdorovich V. I., Shel N. V., Tsygankova L. E., Bernatsky P. N.Oil-based preservative materials for protection of copper against corrosion in atmospheres containing SO2. International Journal of Corrosion and Scale Inhibition. 2015; 4(3):210–220.
21. Bykov V. V., Golubev M. I., Kuznetsova Ye. G. Results of electrochemical studies of preservative compositions based on vegetable and mineral oils. Trudy GOSNITI = Works of GOSNITI. 2015; 119:39–42. (In Russ.)
22. Kuznetsova E. G., Prokhorenkov V. D., Knyazeva L. G., A. I. Petrashev, Gaidar S. M. Protective efficacy of water soluble corrosion inhibitors in conservation of agricultural machinery. Tekhnika v selskom khozyaystve = Machinery in Agriculture. 2012; 6:23–25. (In Russ.)
23. Vigdorovich V. I., Tsygankova L. E., Shel N. Oh. Knyazeva L. G., Uryadnikov A. A., Kuznetsova E. G. Kinetics and mechanism of electrode reactions occurring in the corrosion processes of a number of metals coated with oil films in acidic and neutral chloride media. Korroziya: materialy, zashchita = Corrosion: Materials, Protection. 2015. 4:22–30. (In Russ.)
24. Russian Federation Patent 2355820. Water-soluble corrosion inhibitor of metals. Gaidar S. M. Declared 4.11.2008; published 20.05.09. Bulletin no. 14. (In Russ.)
25. Bernatsky P. N., Shel N. O., Vigdorovich V. I., Tsygankova L. E., Kotina A. Yu. Protective efficiency of inhibited oil films during corrosion of carbon steel in NACL solutions containing sulfuric acid. Korroziya: materialy, zashchita = Corrosion: Materials, Protection. 2015; 10:24–31. (In Russ.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.