Photoluminescence Monitoring the Ripeness of Cereal Seeds during Ripening
Mikhail V. Belyakov
Introduction.To assess objectively the ripeness plant seeds is one of the areas of developing agricultural electrotechnical technologies. Optical methods and diagnostic tools are highly accurate, selective, and express, and can be easy integrated into existing modern agricultural machines and devices.
Materials and Methods.The exploratory research of optical spectral luminescent properties of cereal seeds of defferent ripeness levels was carried out. The lots of oat and wheat seeds of the milky, milky-wax, and waxy ripeness, as well as ripe seeds were selected. The study was conducted on the spectrofluorometer “Fluorat-02-Panorama”. The spectra of synchronous scan excitation were measured based on the seed luminescence spectra. The integral parameters of the spectra were calculated.
Results. The seeds of milky ripeness have the highest peak of excitation at a wavelength of about 362 nm and significantly less values at 424 nm. In ripe seeds there is no short-wave peak (λmax = 362 нм) There are remain peaks of 424 nm and 485 nm, and the long-wave peak increases with increasing ripeness. With increasing seed ripeness, the ratio of longwave to the shortwave flux increases. The dependences can be statistically reliably approximated linearly. The obtained dependences can be used to determine the seed physiological ripeness degree. There have been proposed a technique for determining the ripeness of cereal seeds during their riping, including sample preparation, excitation of luminescence in the short-wave and long-wave ranges, its registration, amplification and processing the resulting photoelectric signal. To implement the method, the design of the device for objective rapid analysis of the stage of seed physiological ripeness was developed.
Discussion and Conclusion. During the ripening of cereal seeds, the ratio of their excitation levels and luminescence fluxes changes: for immature seeds, short-wave luminescence is characteristic, while in mature seeds, long-wave luminescence prevails. The dependence of the ratio of photoluminescence fluxes on the ripeness time is an increasingone. A device for determining the seed ripeness stage is developed.
Keywords: seed, ripening, ripeness control, excitation spectrum, luminescence spectrum
Acknowledgements: The author expresses gratitude to the reviewers for the careful reading of the manuscript.
For citation: Belyakov M.V. Photoluminescence Monitoring the Ripeness of Cereal Seeds during Ripening. Inzhenernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2019; 29(2):306-319. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.029.201902.306-319
The author has read and approved the final version of the paper.
Received 29.11.2018; revised 13.02.2019; published online 28.06.2019
1. Algazinov E.K., Dryuchenko M.A., Minakov D.A., Sirota A.A., Shul’gin V.A. Methods of measuring the spectral characteristics and identifying the components of grain mixtures in real-time separation systems. Izmeritelnaya tekhnika = Measurement Techniques. 2014; 1:36-41. (In Russ.)
2. Jacques S.L. The role of skin optics in diagnostic and therapeutic uses of lasers. In: Steiner R., Kaufmann R., Landthaler M., Braun-Falco O. (eds) Lasers in Dermatology. Berlin: Springer–Verlag; 1991. p. 1-21.
3. Grosenick D., Rinneberg H., Cubeddu R., Taroni P. Review of optical breast imaging and spectroscopy. Journal of Biomedical Optics. 2016; 21(9): 091311.
4. Holmer C., Lehmann K.S., Risk J., Roggan A., Germer C.-T., Reissfelder C., et al. Holmer C., Lehmann K.S., Risk J., Roggan A., Germer C.-T., Reissfelder C., et al. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine. 2006; 38(4):296-304.
5. Fuse S., Nirengi S., Amagasa S., Homma T., Kime R., Endo T., et al. Brown adipose tissue density measured by near-infrared time-resolved spectroscopy in Japanese, across a wide age range. Journal of Biomedical Optics. 2018; 23(6):065002.
6. Schelkanova I., Pandya A., Saiko G., Nacy L., Babar H., Shah D.F., et al. Spatially resolved, diffuse reflectance imaging for subsurface pattern visualization toward development of a lensless imaging platform: Phantom experiments. Journal of Biomedical Optics. 2016; 21(1):015004.
7. Barlow S., Wang J., inventors. University of Kansas, assignee. Method and apparatus for measuring non-nutritive suck pattern stability. US Patent 2009/0222214 A1. 2009 Sep 03.
8. Bergmann A., Struck J., inventors. Brahms AG, assignee.Diagnostic method for disorders using copeptin. US Patent 2009/0221009 A1. 2009 Sep 03.
9. Pope R., Liang X., inventors. Life Technologies Corporation, assignee. Identification of cancer biomarkers and phosphorylated proteins. US Patent 2009/0226913 A1. 2009 Sep 10.
11. Sun H., Fung S., Woo S.L., inventors. Nanowire-based system for analysis of nucleic acids. US Patent 2009/0226927 A1. 2009 Sep 10.
12. Vangbo M., Nielsen W.D., Blaga L.I, Stern S., Horn J., Van Nguyen M., et al., inventors. Microchip Technologies, Inc., applicant. Universal sample preparation system and use in an integrated analysis system. WO Patent 2009/108260 A2. 2009 Sep 3.
13. Mouroulis P., Green R.O. Review of high fidelity imaging spectrometer design for remote sensing. Optical Engineering. 2018; 57(4):040901.
14. McGregor H.C., Short M.A., Lam S., Shaipanich T., Beaudoin E.-L., Zeng H. Development and in vivo test of a miniature Raman probe for early cancer detection in the peripheral lung. Journal of Biophotonics. 2018; 11(11):201800055.
15. Liu Q., Vo-Dinh T. Spectral filtering modulation method for estimation of hemoglobin concentration and oxygenation based on a single fluorescence emission spectrum in tissue phantoms. Medical Physics. 2009; 36(10):4819-4829.
16. Savić A., Kardos R, Nyitrai M, Radotić K. Decomposition of complex fluorescence spectra containing components with close emission maxima positions and similar quantum yields. Application to fluorescence spectra of proteins. Journal of Fluorescence. 2013; 23(3):605-610.
17. Zhu C., Chen S., Hoe-Kong Chui C., Tan B.-K., LiuEarly Q. Early detection and differentiation of venous and arterial occlusion in skin flaps using visible diffuse reflectance spectroscopy and autofluorescence spectroscopy. Biomedical Optics Express. 2016; 7(2):570-580.
18. Tkachenko Yu.A., inventor. Closed Joint Stock Company CEM Technology, assignee. Infrared Thermometer. RU Patent 74282. 2008 Feb 05. (In Russ.)
19. Kuzminov V.I., Grebennik V.I., inventors. FSBEI HPE Stavropol State Agrarian University, assignee. Method for determination of biologically valuable corn seeds. RU Patent 2506734. 2012 Sep 26. (In Russ.)
20. Belyakov M.V. Optical spectral qualities of plant seeds with different moisture.Vestnik NGIEI = Bulletin NGII. 2016; 4:38-50. (In Russ.)
21. Belyakov M.V., Kulikova M.G. Dependence of humidity of seeds of plants on a stream of luminescence. Estestvennyye i tekhnicheskiye nauki = Natural and Technical Sciences. 2016; 11:162-163 (In Russ.)
22. Belyakov M.V., Vybornova E.I. Fluorescent analyser development of crop species seed germination. Vestnik NGIEI = Bulletin NGII. 2017; 1:39-52. (In Russ.)
23. Belyakov M.V., Bulatikova O.V., Tarasenkov K.A. Methodology of objective control of membership of seasons of ras-changes at ripe. Innovatsii v selskom khozyaystve = Innovations in Agriculture. 2018; 3:14-19. (In Russ.)
24. Belyakov M.V. Typical plant seeds spectral characteristics. Estestvennyye i tekhnicheskiye nauki = Natural and Technical Sciences. 2015; 11:521-525 (In Russ.)
25. Belyakov M.V. The study of fluorescent properties of seeds of wheat and oat of different germination. Vestnik VIESKH = VIESH Institute’ Herald. 2016; 1:30-33 (In Russ.)
26. Belyakov M.V. Determination of germination of plant seeds by luminescent method. Vestnik Izhevskoy gosudarstvennoy selskokhozyaystvennoy akademii = The Bulletin of Izhevsk State Agricultural Academy. 2017: 3:35-40. (In Russ.)
27. Belyakov M.V. Change in luminescent characteristics of wheat seeds during maturation. Vestnik Kurskoy gosudarstvennoy selskokhozyaystvennoy akademii = Vestnik of Kursk State Agricultural Academy. 2017; 6:38-41. (In Russ.)
28. Belyakov M.V. Optical luminescent analyzer of germination of plant seeds. Innovatsii v selskom khozyaystve = Innovations in Agriculture. 2017; 2:73-82. (In Russ.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.