UDK 621.9.048.4: 001.891.57
Modelling the Temperature Field of a Surface in Using Electrospark Alloying of Metals
Victor D. Vlasenko
Valery I. Ivanov
Vyacheslav F. Aulov
Leonid A. Konevtsov
Elena G. Martynova
Ismail H. Hasan
Introduction. At present, the problem of increasing performance properties of machine parts, tools and tooling by improving the physical, chemical and mechanical characteristics of their executive working surfaces is relevant. One of the modern methods of obtaining coatings on the surfaces of parts is the method of electrospark alloying. In the case of electrospark alloying, it is important to select the thermophysical properties of materials to obtain coatings with desired physicomechanical and tribological properties. The paper presents the results of the method development for calculating the unsteady temperature field of the processed material (cathode) having the form of a rectangular parallelepiped, on one side of which a doped layer is formed during electrospark alloying.
Materials and Methods. To form doped layers in a drop-shaped electro-mass transfer, we used iron in the form of a parallelepiped as a being processed material (cathode) and tungsten was used as a processing material (anode). A nonlinear initial boundary value problem and a computational scheme are suggested for determining the temperature at all points (temperature field) of the cathode made in the form of a parallelepiped with the location of several heat-emitting drops on its face.
Results. The paper presents an algorithm for solving the problem by the second Green’s formula of finding the temperature field in the cathode made in the form of a parallelepiped, in this case the described nonlinear model of the flow from droplets to the parallelepiped is replaced by a linear model. An algorithm is constructed and calculations are carried out to determine the temperature values at all points and the temperature flow in the cathode in the case of one average drop on its face. According to this algorithm, a software package was created and experimental calculations were carried out. The dynamics of temperature values at all points and the heat flux of the cathode points under study is shown.
Discussion and Conclusion. To achieve higher coating properties and a greater efficiency of the electrospark alloying, it is necessary to calculate the temperature field and heat flow of the cathode points under studying. The proposed mathematical model is calculated for the case of one drop placed on the boundary of a heat-conducting half-space. When choosing an anode material depending on the erosion resistance to obtain the required thickness of the surface layers with the specified functional properties, the developed calculation method is used, which allows us to describe the cooling process of one drop and then use this information to average the description of the effect of heating the parallelepiped body by a number of such drops.
Keywords: electrospark alloying, anode, cathode, temperature field, alloying of metals, modelling the temperature field
Funding: The study was conducted with the financial support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research and the Government of the Republic of Mordovia in the framework of the research project No. 18-43-130003\18 «Study of the wear intensity of the working surfaces of friction pairs formed by electric spark coatings».
For citation: Vlasenko V.D., Ivanov V.I., Aulov V.F., Konevtsov L.A., Martynova E.G., Hasan I.H. Modelling the Temperature Field of a Surface in Using Electrospark Alloying of Metals. Inzhenernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2019; 29(2):218-233. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.029.201902.218-233
Contribution of the authors: V. D. Vlasenko – the development of concept and plan of the article, conducting theoretical research; V. I. Ivanov – the development of algorithm for finding the temperature field, edition of the article; V. F. Aulov – the analysis of the results; L. A. Konevtsov – the formulation of conclusions, writing the text; E. G. Martynova – experimental research, review and analysis of literature; I. H. Hasan – participation in the preparation of the initial data.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper.
Received 11.02.2019; revised 22.04.2019; published online 28.06.2019
СПИСОК ИСПОЛЬЗОВАННЫХ ИСТОЧНИКОВ
1. Mikhailov V.V., Gitlevich A.E., Mikhailyuk A.I., Verkhoturov A.D., Belyakov A.V., Konevtsov L.A. Electrospark alloying titanium and its alloys: the physical, technological, and practical aspects. Part I. The peculiarities of the mass transfer and the structural and phase transformations in the surface layers and their wear and heat resistance. Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry. 2013; 49(5):373-395.
2. Vlasenko V.D., Mulin Yu.I. Formation of wear- and heat-resistant coatings on the surface of Ti alloys by electro-sparking alloying. Fizika i khimiya obrabotki materialov = Physics and Chemistry of Materials Treatment. 2015; 1:79-84. (In Russ.)
3. Verkhoturov A.D., Gordienko P.S., Podchernyaeva I.A., Konevtsov L.A., Panin E.S. The formation of protective coating on tungsten-containing hard alloys by electrospark alloying with metals and borides. Inorganic Materials: Applied Research. 2011; 2(2):180-185.
4. Verkhoturov A.D., Konevtsov L.A., Shpilev A.M., Gordienko P.S., Panin E. S., Podchernyaeva I.A., et al. Contribution of the electrospark alloying to the oxidation resistance of hard tungsten alloys. Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics. 2008; 47(1-2):112-115.
5. Wang W., Wang M., Sun F., Zheng Y., Jiao J. Microstructure and cavitation erosion characteristics of Al–Si alloy coating prepared by electrospark deposition. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2008; 202(21):5116-5121.
6. Kozyr A.V., Konevtsov L.A., Konovalov S.V., Kovalenko S.V., Ivashenko V.I. Research on heat resistance properties of coatings deposited by electrospark alloying on steel C45 by nickel-chromium alloys. Pisma o materialakh = Letters on Materials. 2018; 8(2):140-145.
7. Sun P.-F., Zhang L.-Q., Lin J.-P. Corrosion behaviour of Ti-45Al-8Nb coating on 304 stainless steel by electrospark deposition in molten zinc. Transactions of Materials and Heat Treatment. 2014; 35(2):151-156.
8. Wang W., Xie J., Zhang B., Ruan W., Han C. Fabrication of stainless steel microstructure surface by electro-spark deposition. Surface Technology. 2017; 46(5):159-164.
9. Ivanov V.I., Verkhoturov A.D., Konevtsov L.A. The development of criteria for evaluating the effectiveness of the surface layer formation and its properties in the process of electrospark alloying. Part I. The state of the issue. Kinetic and functional criteria of the efficiency of a doped layer’s formation. Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry. 2017; 53(3):218-223.
10. Ivanov V.I., Verkhoturov A.D., Konevtsov L.A. The development of criteria for evaluating the effectiveness of the surface layer formation and its properties in the process of electrospark alloying (ESA). Part 2. The criteria of the effectiveness of the ESA process and electrospark coatings. Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry. 2017. 53(3):224-228.
11. Gordienko P.S., Zhevtun I.G., Panin E.S., Shabalin I.A., Verkhoturov A.D., Dostovalov V. A., et al. Electrophysical model of the erosion of electrodes under the energy pulse effect. Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry. 2011; 47(3):206-216.
12. Verkhoturov A.D., Podchernyaeva I.A., Ivanov V.I., Konevtsov L.A. On the problem of creating a new scientific school in the field of electric erosion machining: electrode material science. Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry. 2010; 46(5):523-533.
13. Verkhoturov A.D., Ivanov V.I., Dorokhov A.S., Konevtsov L.A., Velichko S.A. Effect of the nature of electrode materials on erosion and properties of doped layers. Vestnik Mordovskogo universiteta = Mordovia University Bulletin. 2018; 28(3):302-320. (In Russ.)
14. Smagin S.I., Vlasenko V.D., Mulin Y.I. Parameters modelling for an electro-sparking alloying process for formation of functional surfaces. Vychislitelnyye tekhnologii = Computational Technologies. 2009; 14(3):79-85. (In Russ.)
15. Verkhoturov A.D., Ivanov V.I., Konevtsov L.A. Evaluation criteria of efficiency of process of electric-spark alloying. Trudy GOSNITI = Works of GOSNITI. 2011; 107(2):131-137. (In Russ.)
16. Xie Y.J., Wang M.C. Epitaxial MCrAlY coating on a Ni-base superalloy produced by electrospark deposition. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2006; 201(6):3564-3570.
17. Chang-Bin T., Dao-Xin L., Zhan W., Yang G. Electro-spark alloying using graphite electrode on titanium alloy surface for biomedical applications. Applied Surface Science. 2011; 257(15):6364-6371.
18. Muralidharan B., Chelladurai H., Singh P., Kumar M. Single spark analysis of electro-discharge deposition process. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 2016; 31(14):1853-1864.
19. Beck J.V. Transient temperatures in a semi-infinite cylinder heated by a disk heat source. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 1981; 24(10):1631-1640.
20. Verkhoturov A.D., Kozyr A.V., Konevtsov L.A. [Scientific basis for the development and production of layered materials on the surface of hard alloys]. Vladivostok: Dalnauka; 2016. (In Russ.)
21. Vlasenko V.D., Kolisova M.V. Modeling of the temperature field on the cathode’s surface during electrophysical impact. Contemporary Engineering Sciences. 2016; 9(6):249-256.