The Quadcopter Design Based on Integrated Model Environment
Mikhail V. Chugunov
Irina N. Polunina
Mikhail A. Popkov
Introduction. The deals with the multi/interdisciplinary approach to designing the unmanned aerial vehicle (quadcopter) based on the use of the integrated model environment. The designing process is implemented as creating different types of models: natural (physics) and virtual.
Materials and Methods. The virtual model is understood to be a set of mathematical, algorithmic, program and 3D models maintaining its functioning in virtual environment. The design decision represents a set of the design-technology documentation including the integrated model of the designed project, whose components are connected with each other. The natural (physics) part of the integrated model environment includes the following components: a carrier system, shell details, electromechanical and electronic systems for controlling navigation, telemetry and sensory. For the carrier systems and shells there used polyamide bionic parts, which are purchased and printed on the 3D printer; the basic element of electronic system is the flight controller ArduPilot (ArduCopter). The virtual environment of modelling is formed on the basis of CAD/CAE/CAM/PDM/PLM SolidWorks (Motion, Simulation). The main tools, used for creating the communications between models of different types and levels, are the COM technology, API CAD/CAE/CAM/PDM/PLM system, MS Visual Studio C++, which allow developing the integrated interface for controlling the flight and planning the trajectory in the real and virtual environment.
Results. The integrated (natural and virtual) model environment for the quadcopter is developed. On this basis, the design decision in the form of a real object and its virtual model is made. The state and behaviour of these objects is controlled and guided by the software having access both to a real object and to its 3D model. The received result can be considered as the tool of engineering for the solution of a wide range of scientific, technical and production tasks: performing defectoscopy, diagnosing emergencies, and 3D-scanning remote and hard-to-reach objects.
Discussion and Conclusion. The research shows the efficiency of the approach to designing as to process of creating the multi/interdisciplinary models of different types and levels. At the same time, the problem of integrating these models into a coherent whole by forming bidirectional associative communications has assumed particular importance. The technological (program) means for synchronizing a state and behaviour of the natural and virtual models of design objects require further development.
Keywords: quadcopter, integrated model environment, virtual model, full-scale model, bidirectional associative relation, computer-aided engineering system, COM technology, API programming
For citation: Chugunov M.V., Polunina I.N., Popkov M.A. The Quadcopter Design Based on Integrated Model Environment. Inzhenernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2019; 29(2):169-186. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.029.201902.169-186
Contribution of the authors: M. V. Chugunov – the development of the technique and software for integrated quadcopter systems building; I. N. Polunina – the computer analysis of procedures, computer edition of the text and graphics; M. A. Popkov – 3D-model design.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper
Received 01.11.2018; revised 11.01.2019; published online 28.06.2019
1. Makarov I.M., Rakhmankulov V.Z., Akhrem A.A. Virtual modeling and intellectual management of the complex computer integrated systems. Informatsionnyye tekhnologii i vychislitelnyye sistemy = Journal of Information Technologies and Computing Systems. 2007; 2:11-24. (In Russ.)
2. Makarov I.M., Lokhin V.M., Manko S.V., Romanov M.P., Aleksandrova R.I. Development of intelligent control technology for creation of autonomous objects on the basis of complex automation design. Izvestiya YuFU. Tekhnicheskiye nauki = Izvestiya SFedU. Engineering Sciences. 2013; 3:7-14. (In Russ.)
3. Chugunov M.V., Polunina I.N. Interdisciplinary modelling of robots using CAD/CAE technology. Vestnik Mordovskogo universiteta = Mordovia University Bulletin. 2018; 28(2):181-190. (In Russ.)
4. Orsag M., Bogdan S. Influence of forward and descent flight on quadrotor dynamics. In: Agarwal R. (ed.) Recent Advances in Aircraft Technology. Zagreb: InTech, 2012. p. 141-156.
5. Gen K., Chulin N.A. Stabilization algorithms for automatic control of the trajectory movement of quadcopter. Nauka i obrazovaniye. MGTU im. N. E. Baumana = Science and Education of the Bauman MSTU. 2015; 5:218-235. (In Russ.)
6. Petrov V.F., Barunin A.A., Terentiev A.I. Model of the automatic control system unmanned aerial vehicle. Izvestiya Tulskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Tekhnicheskiye nauki = News of the Tula State University. Technical Sciences. 2014; 12(2):217-225.
7. Kotarski D., Benić Z., Krznar M. Control design for unmanned aerial vehicles with four rotors. Interdisciplinary Description of Complex Systems : INDECS. 2016; 14(2):236-245. (In Russ.)
8. Belyavsky A.O., Tomashevich S.I. Passivity-based method for quadrotor control. Upravleniye bolshimi sistemami = Large-Scale Systems Control. 2016; 63:155-181. (In Russ.)
9. Ermachenkov D.I., Fazly T.G.K., Petrenko E.O. Quadrotor frame design for remote object monitoring. Naukovedeniye = Science Studies. 2016; 8(6):45. (In Russ.)
10. Ermachenkov D.I., Fazly T.K. Chip for management of quadcopter for remote monitoring of objects. Inzhenernyy vestnik = Engineering Bulletin. 2016; 8:12-27. (In Russ.)
11. Gogolev A.A. Semi-natural modelling of unmanned aerial vehicles like multicopter. Trudy MAI = Works of MAI. 2017; 92:29. (In Russ.)
12. Shaqura M., Shamma J.S. An automated quadcopter CAD based design and modeling platform using solidworks API and smart dynamic assembly. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics. 2017; 2:122-131.
13. Popkov M.A., Chugunov V.V. Design and optimization of frame system of quadcopter. Molodoy uchenyy = Young Scientist. 2018; 14:30-35. (In Russ.)
14. Mellinger D., Kumar V. Minimum snap trajectory generation and control for quadrotors. In: 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation. 2011. p. 2520-2525.
15. Kochkarov A.A., Agishev R.T. Comparative analysis of the flights of a quadrotor along trajectories of various degrees of smoothness. Modern Science. 2016; 3:17-22. (In Russ.)
16. Piegl L., Tiller W. The NURBS Book. 2nd ed. Berlin ; Heidelberg : Springer–Verlag, 1997.
17. Cowling I.D., Yakimenko O.A., Whidborne J.F., Cooke A.K. Direct method based control system for an autonomous quadrotor. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems. 2010; 60(2):285-316.
18. Michael N., Mellinger D., Lindsey Q., Kumar V. The GRASP multiple micro-UAV testbed. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine. 2010; 17(3):56-65.
19. Popkov M.A., Chugunov M.V. Modeling of flight of quadcopter in Solidworks Motion software. Molodoy uchenyy = Young Scientist. 2018; 16:135-138. (In Russ.)
20. Chugunov M.V., Osyka V.V., Kudaev S.P., Kuzmichyov N.D., Klyomin V.N. Analysis and design of rolling stock elements. Nauka i obrazovaniye. MGTU im. N. E. Baumana = Science & Education of the Bauman MSTU. 2014; 9:216-226. (In Russ.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.