The Synthesis and Study of Metal Powder Stabilizer Properties in Lubrication Compositions
Valentin V. Safonov
Valery V. Ostrikov
Vadim V. Venskaytis
Konstantin V. Safonov
Alexandr S. Azarov
Introduction. Modern manufacturing technologies of powder materials allow obtaining particles sized 0.1–0.5 μm. Powders with such dispersion have a very high surface energy and, consequently, unique properties. Powders with a given size can be used as an additive to motor oil to form the surface film with high tribological properties. However, the widespread use of ultra-nanoscale powder materials as additives to motor oil limits sedimentation and aggregation of the particles. As a result, the dimensions of the metal crystals increase to dozens of microns and their particles are then retained by oil filters of engines that leads to efficiency decrease and even to clogging oil-conducting channels and to setting the friction surfaces of the parts. The most technically competent solution for increasing sedimentation resistance of the lubricant composition is the use of chemical stabilizers forming the thinnest film at the surface of metal particles, which not only hinders particle aggregation, but also keeps them suspended for a long time.
Materials and Methods.As stabilizers of dispersed metal powders in lubricant compositions, organic compounds of various classes are used. The analysis of several stabilizers of disperse metal powders is given in the paper and new compositions are proposed: apinezon MN, polyethylene glycol sebacate and commodity stabilizer apiezon L. The methods of stabilizers synthesis and examination of their activity are described.
Results. The stabilization activity of the developed preparations was compared to the basic version: oleic acid. Addition of the ester of ethylene glycol sebacate had no stabilizing effect on the lubricant composition. The synthesized MN and Mg reagent apeizon L show stabilizing properties with respect to metallic powders of the lubricant composition, comparable with the properties of oleic acid.
Discussion and Conclusion.Since apiezon greases are a mixture of hydrocarbons, their corrosivity is much lower than that of oleic acid, they can be recommended for practical use.
Keywords: lubricant composition, ultrafine powder, stabilizer, sedimentation stability, hydrocarbon stabilizer, apiezon, polyethylene glycol-colesebacinate ester, oleic acid
For citation: Safonov V.V., Ostrikov V.V., Venskaytis V.V., Safonov K.V., Azarov A.S. The Synthesis and Study of Metal Powder Stabilizer Properties in Lubrication Compositions. Inzhenernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2019; 29(1):108-123. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.029.201901.108-123
Contribution of the authors: V. V. Safonov – formulation of the main concept of a research, development of the plan of article, preparation of initial version of article; V. V. Ostrikov – statement of tasks and development of a technique of a research, formation of conclusions; V. V. Venskaytis – the analysis of references and results of a research, completion of the text of article; K. V. Safonov – receiving lubricant compositions with ultra-nanometal powder filler, studying of stabilization properties of the synthesized connections; A. S. Azarov – synthesis of samples of stabilizers of various chemical nature.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper.
Received 26.10.2018; revised 14.12.2018; published online 29.03.2019
1. Kuzharov A.S., Kuzharov A.A., Nguyen H., Ageev O.A., Konoplev B.G., Ryzhkin A.A. et al. Investigation of the physicochemical properties and tribological efficiency of nanoparticles of soft metals and their mixtures in petroleum jelly oil. Nanoinzheneriya = Nanoengineering. 2013; 5:43-48. (In Russ.)
2. Burlakova V.E., Kosogova Y.P., Drogan E.G. Effect of copper nanoclusters on the tribological properties of steel-steel friction pair in alcohol aqueous solutions. Vestnik Donskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta = Vestnik of Don State Technical University. 2015; 15(2):41-47. (In Russ.)
3. Kirillin A.V., Dobrinsky E.K., Krasyukov E.A., Malashin S.I., inventors. Kirillin A.V., assignee. The method of obtaining ultrafine powder and device for its implementation. RU Patent 2207933. 2001 Jul 10. (In Russ.)
4. Safonov V.V., Dobrinsky E.K. Increasing the resource of tractor diesels due to metal-containing additives to oil. Traktory i selskokhozyaystvennyye mashiny = Tractors and Agricultural Machinery. 2001; 4:17-18. (In Russ.)
5. Safonov V.V., Shishurin S.A., Aleksandrov V.A. Improving the efficiency of operation of agricultural machinery through the use of nanomaterials. Nanotekhnika = Nanotechnology. 2009; 4:79-80. (In Russ.)
6.Safonov V.V., Aleksandrov V.A., Azarov A.S., Shishurin S.A. Application of nanomaterials during technical service of automotive vehicles. Vestnik MGAU = MSAU Bulletin. 2009; 3:62-66. (In Russ.)
7. Lyalyakin V.P., Olkhovatsky A.K., Gitelman D.A., Shavkunov A.P. Nanomaterials for extending the post-repair resource of tractor transmissions and fuel economy. Tekhnologiya metallov = Metal Technology. 2011; 1:25-27. (In Russ.)
8. Soloviev R.Yu., Olkhovatsky A.K., Gritsenko A.V., Kukov S.S., Bakaykin D.D., Gitelman D.A. Operational testing of ZMZ-4062 engines when adding Wagner Universal nanopreparation to motor oil – Micro-Ceramic Oil. Trudy GOSNITI = Proceedings of GOSNITI. 2013; 112(1):119-127. (In Russ.)
9. Gitelman D.A., Dunaev A.V., Kolokolnikov V.N., Podzharaya K.S., Solov’ev Yu.R. Investigation of tribosomes based on hexagonal boron. Trudy GOSNITI = Proceedings of GOSNITI. 2014; 115:66-70. (In Russ.)
10. Safonov V.V., Aleksandrov V.A., Azarov A.S., Shishurin S.A., Safonov K.V. Nanomaterials in resource-saving technologies to ensure the operability of agricultural machines. Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo agroinzhenernogo universiteta = Chelyabinsk State Agroengineering University Bulletin. 2008; 51:62-69. (In Russ.)
11. Safonov V.V., Dobrinsky E.K. Lubricating composition with components of nanostructured materials. Mashinno-tekhnologicheskaya stantsiya = Machine Technological Station. 2004; 1:42-44. (In Russ.)
12. Safonov V.V., Dobrinsky E.K., Buylov V.N., Semin A.G., Mityushkin A.A., Venskaytis V.V., inventors and assignee. Lubricating composition. RU Patent 2123030. 1998 Dec 10. (In Russ.)
13. Dementieva O.V., Malkovsky A.V., Filippenko M.A., Rudoy V.M. Comparative study of the properties of silver hydrosols obtained by citrate and citrate-sulphate methods. Kolloidnyy zhurnal = Colloid Journal. 2008; 70(5):607-619 (In Russ.)
14. Zeng J., Zheng Y., Rycenga M., Tao J., Li Z.-Y., Zhang Q. et al. Controlling the shapes of silver nanocrystals with different capping agents. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2010; 132(25):8552-8553.
15. Bonet F, Tekaia-Elhsissen K., Sarethy K.V. Study of interaction of ethylene glycol/PVP phase on noble metal powders prepared by polyol process. Bulletin of Materials Science. 2000; 23(3):165-168.
16. Samoilova N.A., Blagodatskikh I.V., Kurskaya E.A., Krayukhina M.A., Vyshivannaya O.V., Abramchuk S.S. et al. Stabilization of silver nanoparticles using maleic acid copolymers. Kolloidnyy zhurnal = Colloid Journal. 2013; 75(4):455-467. (In Russ.)
17. Ershov B.G., Henglein A. Reduction of Ag+ on polyacrylate chains in aqueous solution. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 1998; 102(52):10663-10666.
18. Kiryukhin M.V., Sergeev B.M., Prusov A.N., Sergeev V.G. Photochemical reduction of silver cations in a polyelectrolyte matrix.Vysokomolekulyarnyye soyedineniya. Seriya B. = High Molecular Compounds. Series B. 2000; 42(6):1069-1073. (In Russ.)
19. Zhang Z., Patel R.C., Kothari R., Johnson C.P., Friberg S.E., Aikens P.A. Stable silver clusters and nanoparticles prepared in polyacrylate and inverse micellar solutions. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 2000; 104(6):1176-1182.
20. Balan L., Malval J.-P., Schneider R., Nouen D.L., Lougnot D.-J. In-situ fabrication of polyacrylate- silver nanocomposite through photoinduced tandem reactions involving eosin dye. Polymer. 2010; 51(6):1363-1369.
21. Buiklisky V.D., Levchenko V.F., Popov F.A., Sheremet M.Yu. Ag+ borohydride reduction process in aqueous solutions of acrylic acid copolymer and acrylamide. Kolloidnyy zhurnal = Colloid Journal. 2012; 74(1):10-14. (In Russ.)
22. Akashi M., Iwasaki H., Miyauchi N., Sato T., Susamoto J., Takemoto K. Potent immunomodulating activities of polyvinyladenine and (vinyladenine-alt-maleic acid) copolymer. Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers. 1989; 4(2):124-136.
23. Pellegrino T., Manna L., Kudera S., Liedl T., Koktysh D., Rogach A.L. et al. Hydrophobic nanocrystals coated with an amphiphilic polymer Shell: A general route to water soluble nanocrystals. Nano Letters. 2004; 4(4):703-707.
24. Lin C.-A.J., Sperling R.A., Li J.K., Yang T.-Y, Li P.-Y., Zanella M. et al. Design of an amphiphilic polymer for nanoparticle coating and functionalization. Small. 2008; 4(3):334-341.
25. Kuzharov A.S., Onischuk N.Yu., Komarchuk L.A., Ryabukhin Yu.I. Metal-plating grease. USSR Certificate of Authorship 1214735. 1986 Feb 28. (In Russ.)
26. Mack J.E., Mack P.K., inventors. CLM International Corp., assignee. Lubricant additive. US Patent 4204968. 1980 May 27.
27. Voytovich Ya.N., Bregman M.M., Vipper A.B., Dobrinskiy E.K., Karaulov A.K., Kachalkova M.I. et al., inventors. Scientific Production Company “VIRA”, assignee. Lubricating composition “RESOURCE-DIESEL”. RU Patent 2019563. 1994 Sept 15. (In Russ.)
28. Voitovich Ya.N., Bregman M.M, Vipper A.B, Dobrinsky E.K, Karaulov A.K., inventors. Scientific Production Company “VIRA”, assignee. Lubricating composition “RESOURCE-FORTE” RU 2019562 1994 Sept 15. (In Russ.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.