Method to Determine the Efficiency Assessment Indicators of Potato Treatment by the Aerodynamic Method
Nozim I. Dzhabborov
Anton M. Zakharov
Andrey V. Zykov
Introduction. Current practices to prepare potatoes for sale have significant drawbacks. The aerodynamic method of potato treatment eliminates them owing to its design features. IEEP – branch of FSAC VIM has manufactured an experimental model of the installation POKAS-1 IEEP to test this method. The required power, energy inputs and productivity of the installation were determined and optimized with the aim to achieve highly efficient treatment of potato tubers.
Materials and Methods.Various operating modes of the installation were studied in the experiments according to the developed program and methodology with the use of theoretical modeling methods based on the insight of the processes occurring during the potato treatment.
Results. The experimental studies revealed the patterns how the required power, productivity and energy intensity of potato treatment process varied with the nozzle outlet air temperature. The empirical relationship was found to determine the mass of soil particles removed from the potato surface depending on the air temperature.
Discussion and Сonclusion. The most efficient pre-sale potato treatment by the aerodynamic method was found at the drum rotation frequency of 20 min–1 and the nozzle output temperature of 40 °C, with the optimal required power of the installation being 5.68 kW. When the installation productivity increased from 0.025 t/h to 0.030 t/h, the energy intensity of the technological process was also going up; with the further increase in the productivity from 0.030 t/h to 0.036 t/h the energy intensity of the process dropped drastically. The energy intensity of the process varied from 794.5 to 1124.3 MJ/t depending upon the temperature regime and high power consumption of the installation. The developed method allowed calculating the required power and productivity of the aerodynamic installation and the energy inputs for the process under consideration.
Keywords: potato treatment, aerodynamic method, empirical dependence, process efficiency, energy intensity, productivity
For citation: Dzhabborov N.I., Zakharov A.M., Zykov A.V. Method to Determine the Efficiency Assessment Indicators of Potato Treatment by the Aerodynamic Method. Inzhenernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2019; 29(1):77-90. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.029.201901.077-090
Acknowlegements: The authors express the gratitude to the administration of the Institute for Engineering and Environmental Problems in Agricultural Production – branch of the Federal Scientific Agroengineering Center VIM represented by the Director Alexey V. Trifanov for the support in the research and publication of the article.
Contribution of the authors: N. I. Dzhabborov – academic supervision, formulation of the basic concept of investigations and the structure of the paper; A. M. Zakharov – processing and analysis of experimental data, review of scientific sources, drawing of conclusions; A. V. Zykov – participation in investigations, processing of experimental data.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper
Received 04.10.2018; revised 05.12.2018; published online 29.03.2019
1. Camire M., Kubow S., Donnelly D. Potatoes and human health. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2009; 49(10):823-840.
2. Scott R.K., Wilcockson S.J. Application of physiological and agronomic principles to the development of the potato industry. In: P.M. Harris (Eds.) The Potato Crop. Boston: Springer; 1978. p. 678-704.
3. Zaltzman A., Feller R., Mizrach A., Schmilovitch Z. Separating potatoes from clods and stones in a fluidized bed medium. Transactions of the ASAE. 1983; 26(4):987-990.
4. Ohwovoriole E.N., Oboli S., Mgbeke A.C.C. Studies and preliminary design for a cassava tuber peeling machine. Transactions of the ASAE. 1988; 31(2):380-385.
5. Zhang X.W., Chiu Y.J., Yang C.H. Design and experiment of ultrasonic cleaning for crops. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2012; 201-202:697-700.
6. Story A.G., Raghavan G.S.V. Sorting potatoes from stones and soil clods by infrared reflectance. Transactions of ASAE. 1973; 16(2):304-309.
7. Nuralin B., Bakushev A., Janaliev Y., Dussenov M., Kubasheva Z., Omarova N. et al. Constructive-regime parameters of rotor-brush cleaner for tuberous roots dry cleaning. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering. 2018; 40:113.
8. Changping Z., Bin W., Runhang G., Yitao L., Jin Z., Zhenbing H. et al. Dual-frequency ultrasonic washing machine for fruits and vegetables. International Conference on Consumer Electronics. 2015. p. 152-153.
9. Wang X., Sun J., Xu Y., Li X., Cheng P. Design and experiment of potato cleaning and sorting machine. Transactions of the Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery. 2017; 48(10):316-322.
10. Gao G., Zhang D., Liu J. Design of a new soil-tuber separation device on potato harvesters. In: D. Li, Y. Liu, Y. Chen (Eds) Computer and Computing Technologies in Agriculture IV. CCTA 2010. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. 2011; 346:604-612.
11. Rapinchuk A.L., Vorobey A.S., Brench A.A., Belohvostov G.I. Experimental research of process of dry clearing of potato. Vestsі Natsyyanalnay akademіі navuk Belarusі. Seryya fіzіka-tekhnіchnykh navuk = News of National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. Series of Physical and Technical Sciences. 2010; 3:67-72. (In Russ.)
12. Xie S., Wang C., Deng W., Li X., Qi S. Separating mechanism analysis and parameter optimization experiment of swing separation sieve for potato and soil mixture. Transactions of Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery. 2017; 48(11):156-164.
13. Dzhabborov N.I., Zakharov A. M. Methods for environmental assessment of aspiration-water cleaning of air in aerodynamic treatment of potatoes. Tekhnologii i tekhnicheskiye sredstva mekhanizirovannogo proizvodstva produktsii rastenievodstva i zhivotnovodstva = Technologies, Machines and Equipment for Mechanised Crop and Livestock Production. 2017; 91:138-145. (In Russ.)
14. Fomin I.M., Loginov G.A., Zakharov A.M. Technical and technological modernization of potato growing in the commodity-producing farms of the North-West of the Russian Federation. Sbornik nauchnykh dokladov VIM = Collection of Scientific Reports of VIM. 2011; 1:95-103. (In Russ.)
15. Hallee N.D. Aerodynamic properties of potatoes and associated soil materials. Transactions of the ASAE. 1972; 15(2):303-307.
16. Abedi G., Abdollahpour S., Bakhtiari M.R. Aerodynamic properties of potato tubers to airflow separation from stones and clods. International Journal of Vegetable Science. 2019; 25(1):87-94.
17. Dzhabborov N.I., Zakharov A.M., Zykov A.V. Evaluation of aerodynamic method of pre-sale treatment of potato. Tekhnologii i tekhnicheskiye sredstva mekhanizirovannogo proizvodstva produktsii rastenievodstva i zhivotnovodstva = Technologies, Machines and Equipment for Mechanised Crop and Livestock Production. 2018; 95:136-143. (In Russ.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.