Inverse Optimum Safety Factor Method for Reliability-Based Topology Optimization Applied to Free Vibrated Structures
Imad R. Antypas
Alexey G. Dyachenko
Introduction. The classical topology optimization leads to a prediction of the structural type and overall layout, and gives a rough description of the shape of the outer as well as inner boundaries of the structure. However, the probabilistic topology optimization (or reliability-based topology optimization) model leads to several reliability-based topologies with high performance levels. The objective of this work is to provide an efficient tool to integrate the reliability-based topology optimization model into free vibrated structure.
Materials and Methods. The developed tool is called inverse optimum safety method. When dealing with modal analysis, the choice of optimization domain is highly important in order to be able to eliminate material taking account of the constraints of fabrication and without affecting the structure function. This way the randomness can be applied on certain boundary parameters.
Results. Numerical applications on free vibrated structures are presented to show the efficiency of the developed strategy. When considering a required reliability level, the resulting topology represents a different topology relative to the deterministic resulting one.
Discussion and Conclusion. In addition to its simplified implementation, the developed inverse optimum safety factor strategy can be considered as a generative tool to provide the designer with several solutions for free vibrated structures with different performance levels.
Keywords: deterministic topology optimization, reliability-based topology optimization, modal analysis, optimum safety factor, optimization domain
For citation: Kharmanda G., Antypas I.R., Dyachenko A.G. Inverse Optimum Safety Factor Method for Reliability-Based Topology Optimization Applied to Free Vibrated Structures. Inzhenernyye tekhnologii i sistemy = Engineering Technologies and Systems. 2019; 29(1):8-19. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2658-4123.029.201901.008-019
Acknowledgements: The research is done within the frame of the independent R&D. The authors would like to acknowledge Pr. Mathias Wallin from Lund University for his valuable discussion and comments in the optimization aspects.
Contribution of the authors: G. Kharmanda – scientific guidance, statement of the problem, definition of research methodology, collection and analysis of analytical and practical materials on the research topic, critical analysis and finalization of the solution, computer realization of the solution of the problem; I. R. Antypas – statement of the problem, definition of research methodology, collection and analysis of analytical and practical materials on the research topic; A. G. Dyachenko – analysis of scientific sources on the topic of research, critical analysis and revision of the text.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper.
Received 23.07.2018; revised 25.10.2018; published online 29.03.2019
1. Bendsøe M.P., Kikuchi N. Generating optimal topologies in structural design using a homogenization method. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 1988; 71(2):197-224.
2. Kharmanda G., Olhoff N., Mohamed A., Lemaire M. Reliability-based topology optimization. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 2004; 26(5):295-307.
3. Kharmanda G., Lambert S., Kourdi N., Daboul A., Elhami A. Reliability-based topology optimization for different engineering applications. International Journal of CAD/CAM. 2007. 7(1):61-69.
4. Patel J., Choi S.-K. Classification approach for reliability-based topology optimization using probabilistic neural networks. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 2012; 45(4):529-543.
5. Wang L., Liu D., Yang Y., Wang X., Qiu Z. A novel method of non-probabilistic reliability-based topology optimization corresponding to continuum structures with unknown but bounded uncertainties. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2017; 326:573-595.
6. Bae K., Wang S. Reliability-based topology optimization. In: 9th AIAA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization. 2002. AIAA 2002-5542.
7. Patel N.M., Renaud J.E., Agarwal H., Tovar A. Reliability based topology optimization using the hybrid cellular automaton method. In: 46th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference. 2005. AIAA 2005-2134.
8. Eom Y.-S., Yoo K.-S., Park J.-Y., Han S.-Y. Reliability-based topology optimization using a standard response surface method for three-dimensional structures. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 2011; 43(2):287-295.
9. Jalalpour M., Tootkaboni M. An efficient approach to reliability-based topology optimization for continua under material uncertainty. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 2016; 53(4):759-772.
10. Kharmanda G. The safest point method as an efficient tool for reliability-based design optimization applied to free vibrated composite structures. Vestnik Donskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta = Vestnik of Don State Technical University. 2017; 17(2):46-55.
11. Yaich A., Kharmanda G., El Hami A., Walha L. Reliability-based design optimization for multiaxial fatigue damage analysis using robust hybrid method. Journal of Mechanics. 2018; 34(5):551-566.
12. Kharmanda G.M., Antypas I.R. Reliability-based design optimization strategy for soil tillage equipment considering soil parameter uncertainty. Vestnik Donskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta = Vestnik of Don State Technical University. 2016; 16(2):136-147.
13. Bendsøe M.P. Optimal shape design as a material distribution problem. Structural Optimization. 1989; 1(4):193-202.
14. Bendsøe M.P., Sigmund O. Material interpolation schemes in topology optimization. Archive of Applied Mechanics. 1999; 69(9-10):635-654.
15. Kharmanda G., Antypas I. Integration of reliability concept into soil tillage machine design. Vestnik Donskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta = Vestnik of Don State Technical University. 2015; 15(2):22-31.
16. Ibrahim M.H., Kharmanda G., Charki A. Reliability-based design optimization for fatigue damage analysis. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2015; 76(5-8):1021-1030.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.