Developing the Automatic System for the Multi-Point Fumigation of Air Charge in the Diesel Engine
Mikhail V. Ryblov
Denis A. Ukhanov
Alexander P. Ukhanov
Introduction. The study deals with enhancement of an automotive diesel engine duty cycle through fumigating air charge by the certain dose (10−20 %) of hydrocarbon activator (alcohol, gasoline, kerosene, biodiesel, etc.). This is a relevant problem in engineering. In spite of its effectiveness, this method has not yet been widely applied to machinery. The existing mechanical devices for fumigating air charge do not provide the exact dosage of activator and its timely supply in a diesel engine at different operating modes.
Materials and Methods. The solution for this problem may be the development of an automatic system for the multi-point fumigation of air charge. This device performs the injection of activator into the diesel engine intake manifold branches with the help of electromagnetic injectors managed by the electronic control unit. The system should provide the injectors operation by the algorithm for the cylinders firing order and calculate the injection duration for the adjusted activator dose. For the programming of the Electronic Control Unit, the injection duration of the exact activator dose was theoretically calculated. The algorithm of electromagnetic injectors operation was substantiated (for D-243 tractor diesel engine by the example).
Results. To implement the multi-point fumigation of air charge, it was determined that depending on the activator dose and the engine speed and load mode, the cyclic dose of activator amounts may be from 1 mg per cycle to 13 mg per cycle, while the activator injection duration is from 0.27 ms to 3.5 ms. For the practical realization of the multi-point fumigation of air charge for D-243 diesel engine of MTZ-82.1 tractor the automatic system was designed. The system consists of an activator tank, filter, electric pump, rail, pressure regulator, electromagnetic injectors, electronic control unit, fuel consumption sensor, and sensor of phase and crankshaft speed.
Conclusions. The device solves the problem of the automatic fumigation of air charge at the intake stroke and helps to improve power, fuel economy and environmental indicators of the automotive diesel engines.
Keywords: diesel engine, fumigation of air charge, activator, system, electromagnetic injector, electronic control unit, sensor
For citation: Ryblov M. V., Ukhanov D. A., Ukhanov A. P. Developing the Automatic System for the Multi-Point Fumigation of Air Charge in the Diesel Engine. Vestnik Mordovskogo universiteta = Mordovia University Bulletin. 2018; 28(4):523–536. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/0236-2910.028.201804.523-536
Acknowledgements: The authors thank the engineer of PNIEI company A. V. Grunyushkin for help in invention of Electronic Control Unit and in programming of microcontroller; the President of GAKS-Armservis Research and Manufacturing Association, D.Sc. (Engineering), professor S. V. Seynov for help in manufacturing of the modified intake manifold for diesel engine. Special thanks to anonymous reviewers for the objective analysis of the article.
Contribution of the authors: M. V. Ryblov – literary and patent analysis, performing of theoretical study, manufacturing of experimental sample of the system for multi-point fumigation of air charge in diesel engine, writing the draft, translation of the annotation and figures into English; D. A. Ukhanov – scientific management, formulating the basic research concept, drawing the conclusions, word processing and editing the text; A. P. Ukhanov – primary scientific concept, consulting in technical branch of the study, critical analysis of research and finalizing the text.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper.
Received 18.06.2018; revised 27.07.2018; published online 28.12.2018
1. Imran A., Varman M., Masjuki H. H., Kalam M. A. Review on alcohol fumigation on diesel engine: A viable alternative dual fuel technology for satisfactory engine performance and reduction of environment concerning emission. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2013; 26:739−751.
2. Ukhanov А. P., Ryblov М. V., Ukhanov D. А. The Enrichment of Tractor Diesel Engine Air Charge with Hydrocarbon Activators: A Monograph. Penza: Penza State Agricultural Academy Publ.; 2015. 199 p. (In Russ.)
3. Ryblov М. V., Ukhanov А. P., Ukhanov D. А. Raising productivity of ploughing unit by means of enriching the air charge of tractor diesel in the mode of operation overloads. Niva Povolzhya = Volga Region Cornfield. 2013; 2:93–99. (In Russ.)
4. Ou L., Wang C., Qian Y. Huang W., Zhu S. W., Sun J. Effect of gasoline fumigation on diesel engine performance and emissions. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2012; 130-134:1744–1748.
5. Yao C., Pan W., Yao A. Methanol fumigation in compression-ignition engines: A critical review of recent academic and technological developments. Fuel. 2017; 209:713–732.
6. Qudais M., Haddad O., Qudaisat M. The effect of alcohol fumigation on diesel engine performance and emissions. Energy Conversion and Management. 2000; 41(4):389–399.
7. Chauhan B. S., Kumar N., Pal S. S., Jun Y. D. Experimental studies on fumigation of ethanol in a small capacity diesel engine Energy. 2011; 36(2):1030–1038.
9. Mariasiu F., Burnete N. V., Moldovanu D. Effect of bioethanol ultrasonic generated aerosols application on diesel engine performances. Thermal Science. 2015; 19(5):1931–1941.
10. Hansdah D., Murugan S. Bioethanol fumigation in a DI diesel engine. Fuel. 2014; 130:324–333.
11. Patent 6679224 US, Int.Cl F02B7/06. Method and apparatus for operating a diesel engine under stoichiometric and slightly fuel-rich conditions / Stanglmaier R. H.; Southwest Research Institute; No. 09/992373; Filed 11/6/2001; Publ. 01/20/2004.
12. Wang Q., Wang B., Yao C., Wu T., Wei H., Dou Z. Study on cyclic variability of dual fuel combustion in a methanol fumigated diesel engine. Fuel. 2016; 164:99–109.
13. Cheng C. H., Cheung C. S., Chan T. L. Comparison of emissions of a direct injection diesel engine operating on biodiesel with emulsified and fumigated methanol. Fuel. 2008; 87(10-11):1870–1879.
14. Wang Q., Wei L., Pan W., Yao C. Investigation of operating range in a methanol fumigated diesel engine. Fuel. 2015; 140:164–170.
15. Ryblov M. V., Ukhanov A. P., Ukhanov D. A. Theoretical operation justification of the system of two-point enrichment of the diesel air charge. Vestnik Ulyanovskoy gosudarstvennoy selskokhozyaystvennoy akademii = Ulyanovsk State Agricultural Academy Bulletin. 2017; 2(38):185–191. (In Russ.)
16. Patent 2330173 of the Russian Federation, IPC F02M 25/00; F02D 19/00. A device for enriching the air charge / Ukhanov А. P., Ukhanov D. A., Rachkin V. A., Ryblov M. V.; Penza State Agricultural Academy. No. 2006127884/06; Appl. 07/31/2006; Publ. 07/27/2008; Bulletin No. 21. (In Russ.)
17. Patent for useful model 157301 of the Russian Federation IPC F02D 19/12, F02M 43/00. Activator injection system in diesel intake pipe / Ryblov M. V., Ukhanov A. P., Ukhanov D. A., Simakov S. A.; Penza State Agricultural Academy. No. 2015102646; Appl. 01/27/2015; Publ. 11/27/2015; Bulletin No. 33. (In Russ.)
18. Patent for useful model 177583 of the Russian Federation IPC F02M 43/00, F02D19 / 08; F02B 48/00. A device for dosed supply of activator to diesel / Ukhanov A. P., Ukhanov D. A., Ryblov M. V., Simakov S. A.. № 2017122353; Claim 04/26/2016; Publ. 03/01/2018; Bulletin No. 7. (In Russ.)
19. Ryblov M. V., Ukhanov D. A., Ukhanov A. P. The electronic system of the distributed enrichment of air charge in tractor diesel. Niva Povolzhya = Volga Region Cornfield. 2018; 1(46):114–120. (In Russ.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.