Adsorption-Oxidation Technology of Wastewater Recycling in Agroindustrial Complex Enterprises
Andrey Yu. Izmaylov
Yakov P. Lobachevskiy
Anatoliy V. Fedotov
Viktor S. Grigoryev
Yuliya S. Tsench
Introduction. A large amount of wastewater is generated in processing of agricultural produce at agroindustrial enterprises. Almost all components of these effluents have an organic nature and can be efficiently processed under supercritical water oxidation to produce thermal and electrical energy. This requires a preliminary concentration of organic impurities, which can be carried out by adsorption method. This paper explores the possibility of adsorption wastewater treatment with nano-structured boehmite and wastes of agricultural enterprises with subsequent processing of the resulting sludge under supercritical water oxidation. Such a combination of adsorption purification of waste water from organic contaminants and their subsequent utilization in conditions of supercritical water oxidation has not been practiced before, and this is the novelty of the study. Unlike existing methods, this approach ensures efficient wastewater treatment with excess energy production.
Materials and Methods. Nano-structured boehmites from different manufacturers and waste from agricultural enterprises (buckwheat hull, rice), coke production waste are used as adsorbents. The pore structure of the adsorbents was studied by low-temperature nitrogen adsorption. Microscopic examination was performed using an optical microscope. The content of organic substances was estimated by the index of chemical oxygen consumption. Crystallite size and phase composition were determined by x-ray method. Adsorption was studied on experimental samples of sour whey, sewage farms for growing cattle and pig farms, as well as waste of ethanol production.
Results. Experimental studies demonstrated that buckwheat husks, rice and coke waste are nanostructured materials. A knife mill is the most effective for grinding waste. Isotherms of adsorption of organic impurities of waste waters on buckwheat husks and waste products of coke production are obtained. The quality of wastewater treatment increases with the raise in the specific surface area and the content of particles of the boehmite powder and the time of its mixing.
Conclusions. The nanostructured powders have a sorption capacity in relation to dissolved organic substances and can be used for wastewater treatment of agricultural and processing enterprises and concentration of pollutants. Subsequent oxidation of saturated organic adsorbent in the conditions of supercritical water oxidation provides a full regeneration of the boehmite and the processing of organic matter to produce clean water and excess energy. This idea is promising to solve the problem of energy-efficient wastewater treatment agricultural enterprises.
Keywords: organic impurities, nano-structured boehmite, adsorption, waste water, whey, suspension, buckwheat hull, coke production wastes, supercritical water oxidation
For citation: Izmaylov A. Yu., Lobachevskiy Ya. P., Fedotov, A. V., Grigoryev V. S., Tsench Yu. S. Adsorption-Oxidation Technology of Wastewater Recycling in Agroindustrial Complex Enterprises. Vestnik mordovskogo universiteta = Mordovia University Bulletin. 2018; 28(2):207–221. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/0236-2910.028.201802.207-221
Acknowlegements: The article is based on materials made with financial support of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (Grant Agreement no. 14.607.21.0126 of 27 October 2015, ID: PNIER RFMEFI60715X0126).
Authors’ contribution: A. Yu. Izmaylov – scientific leadership, formulation of the basic concept of research and the structure of the article; Ya. P. Lobachevskiy – participation in research, processing of experimental data, formation of conclusions; A. V. Fedotov – participation in research, preparation of the article; V. S. Grigoryev – participation in theoretical and practical research, revision of the article; Yu. S. Tsench – participation in research, literary and patent analysis.
All authors have read and approved the final version of the paper.
1. Koda S. Oxidation reactions of solid carbonaceous and resinous substances in supercritical water. J. Supercritical Fluids. 2009; 47(3):400–406.
2. Rozen A. E., Roshchin A. V., Grigorev V. S., et al. Calculation of critical and engineering parameters for a supercritical water oxidation reaction system as exemplified by water-aromatic hydrocarbon binary mixtures. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry. 2015; 9(3):481–489.
3. Vostrikov A. A., Dubov D. Yu., Psarov S. A. Pyrolysis of eicosane in supercritical water. Russian Chemical Bulletin. 2001; 50:1478–1480.
4. Henrikson J. T., Savage P. E. Water-density effects on phenol oxidation in supercritical water. American Institute Chemical Engineers J. 2003; 49(3):718–226.
5. Onwudili J. A., Williams P. T. Reaction mechanisms for the hydrothermal oxidation of petroleum derived aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons. J. Supercritical Fluids. 2007; 43(1):81–90.
6. Hou H., Xie Y., Yang Q., Guo Q., Tan Ch. Preparation and characterization of γ-AlOOH nanotubes and nanorods. Nanotechnology. 2005; 16(6):741–745.
7. Fedyaeva O. N., Vostrikov A. A. Destruction of hazardous organic substances in supercritical water. Sverkhkriticheskiye flyuidy: teoriya i praktika = Supercritical Fluids: Theory and Practice. 2012; 7(1):64–88.
8. Proesmans P. I., Luan L., Buelow S. J. Hydrothermal oxidation of organic wastes using ammonium nitrate. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research. 1997; 36:1559–1566.
9. Kirillova S. A., Smirnov A.V., Fedorov B. A., Krasilin A. A., Bugrov A. N., Gareev K. G., et al. Morphology and dimensional parameters of boehmite nanocrystals obtained under hydrothermal conditions. Nano-Systems: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics. 2012; 3(4):101–113.
10. Golikova Ye. V., Jogansson O. M., Fedorova T. G. [Electro-surface properties and aggregative stability of aqueous dispersions of α-А12О3, γ-А12О3 and γ-А1О(OH)]. Poverkhnost = Surface. 1995; 9:78–79. (In Russ.)
11. Dolgikh O. G., Ovcharov S. N. [The use of carbon adsorbents based on vegetable waste for cleaning of oil-contaminated waste waters]. Vestnik Severo-Kavkazskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta = North Caucasus State Technical University Bulletin. 2010; 1:6–12. (In Russ.)
12. Toor S. S., Rosendahl L., Rudolf A. Hydrothermal liquefaction of biomass: A review of subcritical water technologies. Energy. 2011; 36(5):2328–2342.
13. Vedenin A. D., Grigoryev V. S., Lobatchevskiy Yа. Р., Nikolaev A. I., Savelyev G. S., Strelets A. V. The experimental research on independent starting and autonomous operation of HDTB considered as a basic block of aes based on supercritical hydrothermal destruction. In: Proceedings of Scientific Practical Conference “Research and Development-2016”, 14–15 December, 2016. Moscow, p. 171–178.
14. Gayazova E. Sh., Usmanov R. A., Shayhiev I. G., Gumerov F. M., Mousin R. Z., Fridland S. V. Oxidative treatment of waste water formed during cellulose production from rape straw in supercritical conditions. Sverkhkriticheskiye flyuidy: teoriya i praktika = Supercritical Fluids: Theory and Practice. 2014; 9(1):40–47.
15. Zhang J., Weng X., Han Y., Li W., Cheng J., Gan Z., Gu J. The effect of supercritical water on coal pyrolysis and hydrogen production: A combined ReaxFF and DFT study. Fuel. 2013; 108:682–690.
16. Vostrikov A. A., Dubov D. Yu., Psarov S. A., Sokol M. Ya. Combustion of coal particles in H2O/O2 supercritical fluid. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research. 2007; 46:4710–4716.
17. Chen Y., Guo L., Cao W., Jin H., Guo S., Zhang X. Hydrogen production by sewage sludge gasification in supercritical water with a fluidized bed reactor. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy. 2013; 38:12991–12999.
18. Vostrikov A. A., Fedyaeva O. N., Fadeeva I. I., Sokol M. Ya. Formation of Al2O3 nanoparticles during aluminum oxidation by water with sub- and supercritical conditions. Sverkhkriticheskiye flyuidy: teoriya i praktika = Supercritical Fluids: Theory and Practice. 2010; 5(1):12–25.
19. Vostrikov A. A., Fedyaeva O. N. Mechanism and kinetics of Al2O3 nanoparticles formation by reaction of bulk Al with H2O and CO2 at sub- and supercritical conditions. J. Supercritical Fluids. 2010; 55:307–315.
20. Garcia-Guinea J., Rubio J., Correcher V., Valle-Fuentes F.-J. Luminescence of α-Al2O3 and α-AlOOH natural mixtures. Radiation Measurements. 2001; 33:653–658.
21. Ruan H. D., Frost R. L., Kloprogge J. T. Comparison of Raman spectra in characterizing gibbsite, bayerite, diaspore and boehmite. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy. 2001; 32(9):745–750.
22. Fedyaeva O. N., Vostrikov A. A., Shishkin A. V., Sokol M. Ya., Fedorova N. I., Kashirtsev V. A. Hydrothermolysis of brown coal in cyclic pressurization-depressurization mode. J. Supercritical Fluids. 2012; 62:155–164.
23. Vostrikov A. A., Fedyaeva O. N., Psarov S. A., Dubov D. Yu., Sokol M. Ya. [Transformation of brown coal under the action of water under supercritical parameters]. Khimiya tverdogo topliva = Solid Fuel Chemistry. 2007; 5:30–40.
24. Zhumaeva D. Zh. Coal adsorbents for wastewater treatment and their secondary use. Universum: khimiya i biologiya = Universum: Chemistry and Biology. 2016; 29(11).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.